Remember me

Lost Password?
Want to Register?
Problems?
Contact a Webmaster at: richard@wvroane.org
Visitor Count

View Stats
Please Sign In
To get the most benefit from our forums, please login.
When you are logged in, you can post queries, and join in discussions.
Roane County Historical Society, Inc. Forum Index
   Queries
  John Thomas "Decker" Jarvis

Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic
Poster Thread
  •  JosephLloyd
      JosephLloyd
John Thomas "Decker" Jarvis
Just popping in
From
I recently found an old letter to my grandfather, Joseph Virgil Lloyd, and in it there is a mention of a general store run by JT Decker Jarvis. Does anyone know of this store or could point me to a source that I could verify the existence?

Thanks,
Joseph Lloyd
Lexington, KY
Posted on: 2011/2/18 15:42
Create PDF from Post Print
  •  LindaCottrellLiss
      LindaCottrellLiss
Re: John Thomas "Decker" Jarvis
Officer
From
It took a bit of digging back in my files and online inquiries, but I found an answer to your "Decker Tom" Jarvis question. There was a Jarvis Store at Oka, Calhoun Co., WV owned by Spencer "Doc" Jarvis - NOT the right one.
There was a Jarvis Store at Amma, Roane Co., WV owned by Greely and Gladys Engle Jarvis. - NOT the right one.
In a correspondence I had back in 1994 with distant Jarvis/Lloyd relative lies the answer.
"John Thomas "Decker Tom" Jarvis worked in the timber business and as a teamster. In his later years, John and his family lived in Clay County near the oil fields. The Jarvis's owned a small grocery store and kept boarders at the home. A bed and three meals went for $1.00 per day."
I know that John and Lydia raised a large family [15 children]. He is buried at the Josiah Jarvis Cem. in Calhoun Co., WV and Lydia is buried at the Ovapa Church of God Cem., Ovapa, Clay Co., WV.

Hope this helps you in your family research.

Note: My dad, Rev. Hobert Lee Cottrell's first wife was Nanny Lloyd, b. 1 Dec. 1905 d. Feb. 1926 the dau. of Everett Sheridan & Bertha Jarvis Lloyd. Bertha was a dau. of John Thomas "Decker" and Lydia Hensley Jarvis.
Posted on: 2011/2/23 23:19
Create PDF from Post Print
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

Share This
Share |
Copyright © 2002-2021 Roane County Historical Society, Inc.