About Membership Publications Officers Help
 
Main Menu
Login

Username:


Password:


Remember me


Lost Password?
Want to Register?
Problems?
Contact a Webmaster at: richard@wvroane.org
Visitor Count

View Stats

Main : History : Historical Plaque Project Total:19

Sort by:  (Title)  (Date)  (Popularity)
Photos currently sorted by: Title (Z to A)

Photo No. 1-10 (out of 19 photos hit)



Traders Trust & Banking Company Building

Traders Trust & Banking Company BuildingPopular
Posted by: LindaCottrellLiss   (See more photos from LindaCottrellLiss)   2011/2/9 14:16
Views: 1482   Comments: 0    
The Traders Trust & Banking Co. building is a 4-story brick and stone structure.  Built in about 1902, the bank's name is found on both the Main and Market Street sides of the building.
(Since the plaques are identical except for the names and dates, I will not post each plaque with the building photo).  
#2 on Walking Tour brochure

The T. R. Simmons House

The T. R. Simmons HousePopular
Posted by: LindaCottrellLiss   (See more photos from LindaCottrellLiss)   2011/2/9 16:19
Views: 1816   Comments: 0    
Located at 327 Church Street, the T. R. Simmons House, built in 1901, was the home of the Theodore Ross and Lula Mae Stump Simmons family.  He was born in Roane County the son of James and Elizabeth Boggs Simmons.  Mr. Simmons was a businessman and banker by trade and was serving as the President of the Bank of Spencer in 1910, (see building #9).  The house is currently owned by the Lillian Knight estate and is vacant.
It is #15 on the historic buildings walking tour.

The Riddle Building

The Riddle BuildingPopular
Posted by: LindaCottrellLiss   (See more photos from LindaCottrellLiss)   2011/2/9 16:44
Views: 1746   Comments: 0    
The Riddle building, spelled Riddel in brickwork on the building's front, is located at the corner of Main and Church Streets and was built in about 1902.  The 3-story brindle brick structure, built by Charles C. Riddle, a Texan by birth & merchant by trade, has served Spencer as a bank, a doctor's office and currently the home of a floral & gifts business.
It is noted in Roane County history that "C. C. Riddle was the largest buyer of turkeys in the county around 1900, out-buying all the other dealers combined.  During the week preceding Thanksgiving in 1902, Riddle purchased and shipped 1400 turkeys out of the county on the R S & G (railroad) at an average purchase cost of seventy-five cents apiece."
Chat C. Riddle and Prudia Tyson were married in Roane County on 26 May 1888, and had at least two children, Velva & Charles T.  He later married a Miss Mollie Kirk and had another daughter named Virginia.  He & his wives are buried at the Spencer Memorial Cemetery.
It is #17 on the downtown walking tour.

The Phil D. Phillips Building

The Phil D. Phillips BuildingPopular
Posted by: LindaCottrellLiss   (See more photos from LindaCottrellLiss)   2011/2/9 15:05
Views: 1473   Comments: 0    
The Phil D. Phillips building, located at 223 Main Street in Spencer has architecture elements similar to buildings along this section of the street. Most of the buildings in this area were at one time gutted by fire but maintain their original facade.
Mr. Philip D. Phillips (1882-1964) from Greene Co., PA was a prominent Spencer druggist, businessman & represented Roane County in the House of Delegates.  A drug store was operated from this location.
The building is currently owned by Insurance Agents, Bob and Anita Ashley & is #7 on the walking tour.

The Lewellen House

The Lewellen HousePopular
Posted by: LindaCottrellLiss   (See more photos from LindaCottrellLiss)   2011/2/9 16:03
Views: 1688   Comments: 0    
The Lewellen House, built in about 1900, is located at 502 Church Street, (corner of Church and Capehart Sts).  The house features a cupola which carries that circular architecture down to the expansive rounded porch that wraps around the corner of the house.
The David and Julie Boggs family are the current resident/owners.  It is #13 on the walking tour.

The Huddleston Building

The Huddleston BuildingPopular
Posted by: LindaCottrellLiss   (See more photos from LindaCottrellLiss)   2011/2/9 16:28
Views: 1651   Comments: 0    
Circa 1905, the Huddleston Building is located at 315 Church Street, sandwiched in between two taller buildings & has been restored for office space and an apartment complex.
John Huddleston married Dora Mount in 1890 and lived on Church Street in Spencer.  He was the son of Washington and Nancy a Thomasson Huddleston, one-time Mayor of Spencer. The Huddleston's all lived on Church Street at the time their homes and much of Spencer's other buildings were destroyed by fire.  Mr. Huddleston was in the furniture business.
The building is #16 on the walking tour.

The H. H. Robey House

The H. H. Robey HousePopular
Posted by: LindaCottrellLiss   (See more photos from LindaCottrellLiss)   2011/2/9 16:12
Views: 1811   Comments: 0    
The Hamond H. Robey House, located at 331 Church Street, was the home of the Hamond H. & Ora Harris Robey Family, founder of the Robey Theatre.  The home has beautiful woodwork and features an original light fixture from the theatre hanging in its foyer.  The house contains many original pieces of furniture and has been lovingly restored to its 1910 grandeur.  David and Martha Cooper are the current resident/owners.
The home is #14 on the walking tour.

The Fairfax House

The Fairfax HousePopular
Posted by: LindaCottrellLiss   (See more photos from LindaCottrellLiss)   2011/2/9 15:33
Views: 1565   Comments: 0    
The John Elliott and Catherine "Kate" Louise (Burdette) Fairfax House, built in about 1900, is located at 326 Market Street.  It features a round gable on the upper level.  Mr. Fairfax was a Wirt County, WV native and Catherine was from Wood County where they were married in 1893. John was a wholesale merchant by trade.  After Mr. Fairfax's death Kate rented out rooms of her home and established a floral business.  The house is currently the residence of Dr. Aaron Cottle.
It is #10 on the Walking Tour brochure.

The F. E. Vandale Building

The F. E. Vandale BuildingPopular
Posted by: LindaCottrellLiss   (See more photos from LindaCottrellLiss)   2011/2/9 15:45
Views: 1688   Comments: 0    
The Fred Earl Vandale Building located at 206 Beauty Street in Spencer has served Spencer & area residents as the Roane County Hospital, the Methodist Episcopal Hospital of West Virginia and as the Lowe Hotel.  Built in 1904, the historic building was sold in 1929 & currently houses the Vandale - Taylor Funeral Home, Inc.
The Vandale Building is #11 on the Walking Tour.

The Cleavenger House

The Cleavenger HousePopular
Posted by: LindaCottrellLiss   (See more photos from LindaCottrellLiss)   2011/2/9 14:56
Views: 1314   Comments: 0    
The Hazel Cleavenger house, built circa 1900, is located at 431 West Main Street in Spencer. It features several interesting architectural elements including unusual oval windows.
Current owners are Anthony and Shannon Hofstad & is #6 on the walking tour of Spencer's historic buildings.

Photo No. 1-10 (out of 19 photos hit)



These photographs are posted here for your personal research and enjoyment. Each remains the property of the original submitter. Please contact that individual before considering any other use of their photos.

Share This
Share |
Copyright © 2002-2017 Roane County Historical Society, Inc.