About Membership Publications Officers Help
 
Main Menu
Login

Username:


Password:


Remember me


Lost Password?
Want to Register?
Problems?
Contact a Webmaster at: richard@wvroane.org
Visitor Count

View Stats

Main : History : Historical Plaque Project Total:19

Sort by:  (Title)  (Date)  (Popularity)
Photos currently sorted by: Popularity (Least to Most Hits)

Photo No. 1-10 (out of 19 photos hit)



Plaque for B & O Railroad Depot

Plaque for B & O Railroad DepotPopular
Posted by: LindaCottrellLiss   (See more photos from LindaCottrellLiss)   2011/2/9 15:19
Views: 1291   Comments: 0    
Bronze plaque placed on the depot to commemorate it's pre 1910 history.

The Cleavenger House

The Cleavenger HousePopular
Posted by: LindaCottrellLiss   (See more photos from LindaCottrellLiss)   2011/2/9 14:56
Views: 1314   Comments: 0    
The Hazel Cleavenger house, built circa 1900, is located at 431 West Main Street in Spencer. It features several interesting architectural elements including unusual oval windows.
Current owners are Anthony and Shannon Hofstad & is #6 on the walking tour of Spencer's historic buildings.

The B & O Railroad Depot

The B & O Railroad DepotPopular
Posted by: LindaCottrellLiss   (See more photos from LindaCottrellLiss)   2011/2/9 15:19
Views: 1331   Comments: 0    
The B & O Railroad Depot located at Church Street and Heritage Park in Spencer dates to 1893.
The depot is now used as Spencer's Heritage Park Museum and is owned by the City of Spencer.
#1 on the Walking Tour brochure

 The Cunningham House

The Cunningham HousePopular
Posted by: LindaCottrellLiss   (See more photos from LindaCottrellLiss)   2011/2/9 14:46
Views: 1362   Comments: 0    
The Cunningham home built in 1900 is located at 224 Chapman Avenue in Spencer. It was once owned by the Foard H. and Madeline Julia Wine Cunningham Family. It features large porches, period furnishings and a relaxed atmosphere for the now Cunningham House Bed and Breakfast Inn owned by Alvis "Sonny" and Sherry Truman.
#5 in the Spencer Walking Tour brochure.

The Anderson Building

The Anderson BuildingPopular
Posted by: LindaCottrellLiss   (See more photos from LindaCottrellLiss)   2011/2/9 15:13
Views: 1400   Comments: 0    
The Anderson Building, built about 1900, is located at (227 Main St) the corner of Main & Market Streets in downtown Spencer & is #8 on the walking tour.
The building was once the location of a grocery store, a clothing/department store and is currently owned and occupied as the optometry office of Dr. Harry Anderson.

The Arnott House

The Arnott HousePopular
Posted by: LindaCottrellLiss   (See more photos from LindaCottrellLiss)   2011/2/9 14:35
Views: 1413   Comments: 0    
The Victorian style Arnott home is located at 103 Locust Avenue in Spencer and was built in 1905 by the Henry M. Arnott family. This historic home now serves the community as the Arnott House Bed and Breakfast Inn.
Greg and Dilya Sutton are current owners and the house is #4 on the Walking Tour brochure.

The Phil D. Phillips Building

The Phil D. Phillips BuildingPopular
Posted by: LindaCottrellLiss   (See more photos from LindaCottrellLiss)   2011/2/9 15:05
Views: 1473   Comments: 0    
The Phil D. Phillips building, located at 223 Main Street in Spencer has architecture elements similar to buildings along this section of the street. Most of the buildings in this area were at one time gutted by fire but maintain their original facade.
Mr. Philip D. Phillips (1882-1964) from Greene Co., PA was a prominent Spencer druggist, businessman & represented Roane County in the House of Delegates.  A drug store was operated from this location.
The building is currently owned by Insurance Agents, Bob and Anita Ashley & is #7 on the walking tour.

Traders Trust & Banking Company Building

Traders Trust & Banking Company BuildingPopular
Posted by: LindaCottrellLiss   (See more photos from LindaCottrellLiss)   2011/2/9 14:16
Views: 1482   Comments: 0    
The Traders Trust & Banking Co. building is a 4-story brick and stone structure.  Built in about 1902, the bank's name is found on both the Main and Market Street sides of the building.
(Since the plaques are identical except for the names and dates, I will not post each plaque with the building photo).  
#2 on Walking Tour brochure

The Fairfax House

The Fairfax HousePopular
Posted by: LindaCottrellLiss   (See more photos from LindaCottrellLiss)   2011/2/9 15:33
Views: 1564   Comments: 0    
The John Elliott and Catherine "Kate" Louise (Burdette) Fairfax House, built in about 1900, is located at 326 Market Street.  It features a round gable on the upper level.  Mr. Fairfax was a Wirt County, WV native and Catherine was from Wood County where they were married in 1893. John was a wholesale merchant by trade.  After Mr. Fairfax's death Kate rented out rooms of her home and established a floral business.  The house is currently the residence of Dr. Aaron Cottle.
It is #10 on the Walking Tour brochure.

The Bank of Spencer Building

The Bank of Spencer BuildingPopular
Posted by: LindaCottrellLiss   (See more photos from LindaCottrellLiss)   2011/2/9 15:20
Views: 1579   Comments: 0    
Built in about 1896, the Bank of Spencer building is located at 314 Market Street.  It has served as office space over the last several years, but still has the original walk-in safe in the lower area.
It is #9 on the Walking Tour brochure.

Photo No. 1-10 (out of 19 photos hit)



These photographs are posted here for your personal research and enjoyment. Each remains the property of the original submitter. Please contact that individual before considering any other use of their photos.

Share This
Share |
Copyright © 2002-2017 Roane County Historical Society, Inc.