Remember me

Lost Password?
Want to Register?
Problems?
Contact a Webmaster at: richard@wvroane.org
Visitor Count

View Stats
Please Sign In
To get the most benefit from our forums, please login.
When you are logged in, you can post queries, and join in discussions.
Roane County Historical Society, Inc. Forum Index
   Queries
  Mariah Deliah Smith Ogden Harold: My GGgrandmother

Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic
Poster Thread
  •  Linda Ciesielski
      Linda Ciesielski
Mariah Deliah Smith Ogden Harold: My GGgrandmother
Not too shy to talk
From
Mariah Deliah Smith Ogden Harold: Mariah's parents and family, Abraham & Elizabeth, came from Green County Pennsylvania to Marion County Virginia. I have located them in the Marion County Census in 1850. I have been searching for more information on their family heritage, but haven't been successful. I know she has many descendents, perhaps there is someone who may know about the Abraham Smith Family from Green County Pennsylvania prior to 1836?

Robert F. Ogden, a son of William B. and Sarah Ann Elizabeth(McIntire) Ogden, was born November 22, 1833 and died in 1863 in the Civil War. He married Mariah Delilah Smith March 3, 1857 in Marion County, VA. Mariah, a daughter of Abraham and Elizabeth Smith, was born September 6, 1836 in Greene County, PA and died October 22, 1922 in
Roane County WV.

Robert enlisted in Co E 14 VA Cavalry in Calhoun County VA September 26, 1862. He was last mustered with his company April 30, 1863 and died at Winchester that year.

Mariah married Jesse Isaac Harold December 23, 1866 in
Roane County WV. Jesse, a son of Elias and Barbara America (Simmons)Harold, was born in Pendleton County Va (WV) June 17, 1840 and died in Roane County WV February 24, 1930. Jesse served in the Civil War.

Mariah and Jesse are buried in Ogden Cemetery in Uler, WV.

Thank you, Linda
Posted on: 2013/6/24 0:32
Create PDF from Post Print
  •  LindaCottrellLiss
      LindaCottrellLiss
Re: Mariah Deliah Smith Ogden Harold: My GGgrandmother
Officer
From
Hi, Linda:
Firstly, I am not directly related to this particular Smith family, but indirectly to the Harold/Harrold's. Some of them are buried at my Cottrell Family's cemetery at Oka, Calhoun Co., WV.

Anyway, I do have a bit of additional info on the Abraham and Elizabeth (Mitchell?) Smith of your ancestral line. I have that Abraham Smith was born 28 Mar 1799 in Greene Co., PA and died after 1880 in Middleton, Henry Co., Indiana. They are found in the 1850 & 1860 census of Marion Co., VA(WV) with 9 children. Maria (Mariah) was listed age 14 in 1850. Sometime between August 1860 & Aug. 1870 the Smith's moved to Fall Creek, Henry Co., Ind where they both died.

According to an Ancestry.com tree Abraham Smith was the son of Dennis Schmidt (Smith) b. 1738 in Germany and served during the Revolutionary War. Dennis died 27 Aug 1829 in Greene Co., PA & was buried at the Calvary Baptist Church Cem., Lippincott, Greene Co., PA. There is photo of his TS on Find-a-Grave. Further, the tree gives Dennis Smith's wife as Elizabeth Zook, & that she was b. at Bedford Co., PA 13 May 1756 & died 19 Sept. 1845 at Stonelick, Clermont Co., OH & buried at the same Calvary B.C. Cem., however the person maintaining that memorial lists Abraham's birth at a much earlier time-frame....???

Also: Mariah [Smith-Ogden] Harold is buried at the Ogden/Hicks Cem. at Uler, Roane Co. while Jesse Isaac Harold is buried [presently unmarked grave] at the Smith Cem. near Uler on the Newton/Uler/Elana Rd., on the Arnold Smith farm.
He was listed in a 1940 WPA reading of the cemetery, so it must have been marked at that time.

Hope this is helpful; at least if gives you some names to investigate. Linda Cottrell Liss at WVRoots@aol.com
Posted on: 2013/8/2 16:26
  •  eking
      eking
Not too shy to talk
From
Jesse Harold is buried at Smith cemetery in Uler and his grave is marked. He is buried next to his best friend William Y Smith which I have been told was at his request. William lived in a house at the base of the hill. There is one there now also, but not the original. William Y and his Wife Julia deeded a portion of their land to be used as the family cemetery.
Posted on: 2013/8/8 19:43
  •  Linda Ciesielski
      Linda Ciesielski
Not too shy to talk
From
Thank you. Just knowing Elizabeth's maiden name is helpful. It looks like we have more in common than our Keen/King ancestry. Maybe next year I will be able to plan for the Keen family reunion and learn more about my family. My cousin Jo Ann Hildreth Van Gilder & I will be visiting Roane County the first of October. Thank you again, Linda Ciesielski
Posted on: 2013/8/13 19:48
  •  Linda Ciesielski
      Linda Ciesielski
Not too shy to talk
From
Elizabeth Mitchell Smith was the daughter of Thomas Mitchell Sr. & Eleanor Hill. Their children were: Lucy (??? died before 1852); Shadrach (1797); Margaret (1802); Elizabeth (1803) Mariah's mom; Thomas (1804); Sarah (1806); Eleanor (1820). This information came from Arnott & Vederoff.

I also found that Mariah's daughter Mary Angeline Ogden (my great grandfathers's sister (William Wesley Ogden) married Millard Filmore Ross. Their children were Floyd, Willie, Roy, Stella Francis, & Ulysses.

Stella Francis Married Price Jarvis. One child's name was Birda Glee Jarvis. She married Greely Francis Conley. Their children were Glen, Don, & Forest.
Posted on: 2013/8/14 2:23
  •  Linda Ciesielski
      Linda Ciesielski
Not too shy to talk
From
This is interesting: William Y. Smith's wife, Julia Ann Cox Smith, was my other great grandfather's mother. She was married to Walter Wilson, they had two son's. Walter died as a prisoner of war at Andersenville, Georgia during the Civil War. She then married William Y. Smith. Julia Ann Cox Wilson Smith's son Robert F. Wilson's daughter (Buena Wilson) married Mariah Deliah Smith Ogden Harold's grandson (Robert Kellis Ogden). Robert Kellis being the son of William Wesley Ogden and Margaret Chewning Ogden.

Posted on: 2013/9/29 22:43
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

Share This
Share |
Copyright © 2002-2021 Roane County Historical Society, Inc.