Remember me

Lost Password?
Want to Register?
Problems?
Contact a Webmaster at: richard@wvroane.org
Visitor Count

View Stats
Please Sign In
To get the most benefit from our forums, please login.
When you are logged in, you can post queries, and join in discussions.
Roane County Historical Society, Inc. Forum Index
   General Discussion
  Hebron Church

Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic
Poster Thread
  •  LindaCottrellLiss
      LindaCottrellLiss
Re: Hebron Church
Officer
From
As of September 2010 the name on the billboard and over the door reads: Hebron Memorial Church.
I remember as a teen, in the 1960's, attending MYF(Methodist Youth Fellowship) meetings there and it was a Methodist church at that time. In 1968 the Methodist Episcopal and the Evangelical United Brethren churches came together to form the United Methodist Church; many congregations split off and retained portions of their former names. I believe the church is now non-denominational. If my memory serves me, the building used to be a white framed building, but is a brick structure today. It is located just off Rt. 119, on Missouri Fk., about 5 miles south of Spencer, near the community of Speed.
According to a plaque on the side of the Hebron building, it was first built 1858 and rebuilt in 1988.
It would be interesting to learn more of the exact history of this particular congregation.
Linda L. Cottrell-Liss at WVRoots@aol.com
Posted on: 2010/12/6 17:25
Create PDF from Post Print
  •  richard
      richard
Hebron Church
Webmaster
From
I received the following question by e-mail:

Quote:

Subject: Mt.Hebron Memorial Church, Speed

Is this the correct name of the church?

I Have seen several versions of the name of the church, what is correct?

There do seem to be many name variations. US GNIS shows:
Hebron Church
Hebron Memorial Church
Hebron Methodist Protestant Church

Cemeteries of Roane County, West Virginia, Volume IV references Mount Hebron Church.

The centennial newspaper includes, in an article named "Hebron (M. P.) Methodist Church," the information that the chuch was "known originally as the Spring Creek Class of the M. P. Church; was later named Pleasant Hill and the name Hebron selected upon construction of the church in 1858 or 1859."

Can anyone provide any information on the actual name, or a history of name changes?
Posted on: 2010/11/12 19:33
Create PDF from Post Print
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

Share This
Share |
Copyright © 2002-2021 Roane County Historical Society, Inc.