Remember me

Lost Password?
Want to Register?
Problems?
Contact a Webmaster at: richard@wvroane.org
Visitor Count

View Stats
Please Sign In
To get the most benefit from our forums, please login.
When you are logged in, you can post queries, and join in discussions.
Roane County Historical Society, Inc. Forum Index
   Queries
  Barton Harris & Barbara Fitzwater

Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic
Poster Thread
  •  gharper
      gharper
Re: Barton Harris & Barbara Fitzwater
Not too shy to talk
From Walton, WV
Barton H Harris is my Great Great Grandfather. I have essentially the same information as you on them. Barton's parents were George Washington Harris and Christina Cross. George's parents were Rev. Simeon Harris and Mary Hannah Smith.
Posted on: 2010/1/29 9:50
Create PDF from Post Print
  •  richard
      richard
Re: Barton Harris & Barbara Fitzwater
Webmaster
From
Bishop's History of Roane County has only the following on this Harris family:
Quote:

HARRIS: Of Curtis District and Upper Spence District.

Two brothers, Abram Harris and Barton Harris, were respected farmers of the smaller acres for about ten years--1875 to 1885. Each had a family, but the sons have gone elsewhere and daughters have changed their names in marriage.

A quick review of census records suggests that Barton and Barbara (multiple spellings on both of these names) were living in Barbour County in 1860, and then in the Curtis district of Roane County in 1870 and subsequent years through 1900.

It also would seem likely, based on the 1850 census, that Barton was living in the George and Christena Harris household, while Barbara was living nearby (next household on census) in the William and Sarah Fitzwater household, both families in Barbour county.

There are records on wvculture.prg that could be of interest, including the marriage registration of what appears to be brother "Abraham Harras" in 1857 in Barbour County, and the birth of Barton and Barbara's daughter Christina was in Roane County in 1871.

Good luck in your searches.
Posted on: 2009/11/28 23:44
  •  michaelring
      michaelring
Barton Harris & Barbara Fitzwater
Just popping in
From
Am seeking information on great-grandparents who I believe to be born or lived in Roane County. Barton Harris born about 1832 but don't have info on death or burial. Wife Barbara Fitzwater was born about 1832 and again, no info on death or burial. Any information would be helpful. Thank you.
Posted on: 2009/11/16 23:56
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

Share This
Share |
Copyright © 2002-2021 Roane County Historical Society, Inc.