Remember me

Lost Password?
Want to Register?
Problems?
Contact a Webmaster at: richard@wvroane.org
Visitor Count

View Stats
Please Sign In
To get the most benefit from our forums, please login.
When you are logged in, you can post queries, and join in discussions.
Roane County Historical Society, Inc. Forum Index
   Queries
  lost family of Squire and Mary Thompson

Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic
Poster Thread
  •  tres_thompson
      tres_thompson
lost family of Squire and Mary Thompson
Just popping in
From
I'm searching for any information on what became of the family of Squire and Mary Thompson. Squire Thompson, son of John and Jane Stinson Thompson, son of John and Virginia Fletcher Thompson, son of William and Nancy Jackson Thompson of Russell Co. Virginia, moved to Roane Co. in the late 1870s. Squire is my ggg-grandpa; the name, though unusual, is a name, not a nickname or title. Squire Thompson, b. about 1833 in Russell Co., Va., is on the 1880 Roane Co. census, Geary District, pg. 18, household 154, with his second wife Mary, son Arch (son Edward's name was listed, then crossed off and Arch's name written over it; Edward was a newly wed back in Russell Co.), daughters Mary Ann, Catherine, and Virginia, and son Charles. Arch and Mary Ann (and Edward, Julia Ann, and Thomas) were children by Squire's first wife, Susie Hart Thompson, while the other children were by Mary, who Squire married in Russell Co., Va. 11 Sep 1875. Squire was farming, as he had in Russell Co. both before and after his service in the 22nd Va. cavalry in the 1860s. My best guess is that Susie died during pregnancy or childbirth sometime between 1870 and 1874, and her child died too, although not recorded on the county death register (many others were not, too). Mary's first child, Cosby Thompson, b. 18 Apr 1876 in Russell Co., may also have died, since she is not listed with the family in Roane Co. in 1880. I have not found subsequent records of Squire, Mary, nor the other Thompsons in this family in WV. Squire & Susie's daughter Julia Ann Thompson, b. in Russell Co., married her second cousin Fullen Thompson in Russell Co., and they stayed there and then in Tazewell Co. the rest of their lives. I don't have access to deed, court, or vital records from Roane Co., so I don't know what became of Squire or the others. Any help or clues would be most appreciated!
Posted on: 2008/6/1 0:03
Create PDF from Post Print
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

Share This
Share |
Copyright © 2002-2021 Roane County Historical Society, Inc.