Remember me

Lost Password?
Want to Register?
Problems?
Contact a Webmaster at: richard@wvroane.org
Visitor Count

View Stats
Please Sign In
To get the most benefit from our forums, please login.
When you are logged in, you can post queries, and join in discussions.
Roane County Historical Society, Inc. Forum Index
   Queries
  Argabrite Cemetery

Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic
Poster Thread
  •  Jim Saffle
      Jim Saffle
Argabrite Cemetery
Just popping in
From
I am looking for the location of the Argabrite Cemetery that is on/near Miller Run Road. Is Aquila Ward buried there?

Thanks,

Jim
Posted on: 2013/5/24 22:29
Create PDF from Post Print
  •  LindaCottrellLiss
      LindaCottrellLiss
Re: Argabrite Cemetery
Officer
From
Jim,
According to a 1999 transcription of the Argabrite Cem. by the Roane Co. Historical Society, the cemetery is located north of Spencer, right on Miller Run Rd on Craig Fork Rd, in Spencer District of Roane Co.
Surnames listed: Argabrite, Schreckengost, Hunt, Reynolds, and one Thompson, but no Ward. A 1939 WPA reading of the cemetery indicates that there were approx. 22 unmarked graves....

1999 Reading of the Ward Cem., Roane Co.
Aquilla Ward [12-6-1806 / 1-11-1858] according to TS
and
Priscilla "Zillah" (Greathouse) Ward d. 14 Jan 1871 are buried at the Ward Cemetery located 3 miles northeast of Spencer on Spring Creek Rd.

There are about 80-something marked graves in the Ward Cemetery on Spring Creek Rd. I have posted the Ward's to the Find-a-Grave website.

Aquilla Ward and Zillah Greathouse were married in Harrison Co., VA(WV) 28 Dec 1827. At the time of his Roane County death, listed in Roane records as 11 Jan 1857, of fever the son of J. Ward and Tabitha Cumming. They were living in Barbour Co. in 1850 but widow Zilla was living at Reedy, Roane Co. by the 28 July 1860 census.

Linda Cottrell Liss, RCHS
Posted on: 2013/8/2 17:27
Create PDF from Post Print
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

Share This
Share |
Copyright © 2002-2021 Roane County Historical Society, Inc.