Remember me

Lost Password?
Want to Register?
Problems?
Contact a Webmaster at: richard@wvroane.org
Visitor Count

View Stats
Please Sign In
To get the most benefit from our forums, please login.
When you are logged in, you can post queries, and join in discussions.
Roane County Historical Society, Inc. Forum Index
   Queries
  Eli Rogers and Lucy (Spencer) Rogers

Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic
12>
Poster Thread
  •  Thomas_Vetter
      Thomas_Vetter
Eli Rogers and Lucy (Spencer) Rogers
Not too shy to talk
From
I am looking for the graves of my Great-great-grandfather and grandmother, Eli Rogers (b. April 30, 1845, d. 1931) and Lucy (Spencer) Rogers (b. December 21, 1850, d. January 2, 1926). Eli served in the Civil War and according to the 1880 Census, they both lived on a farm just outside Spencer. I am assuming they are both buried somewhere in Roane County, but none of the cemetary listings include them. Any help would be much appreciated. I am coming to the area in mid-August to pay my respects to a number of my ancestors. Thank you!
Posted on: 2009/7/7 5:25
Create PDF from Post Print
  •  DavidGriffith
      DavidGriffith
Re: Eli Rogers and Lucy (Spencer) Rogers
Home away from home
From
The death certificate for Eli Rogers, which can be seen online here records his burial at "Rogers Cemetery," if that's of any help. I don't know how many of those there might be, or where -- but at least it's a start.

The online record for Lucy is a ledger entry, not a certificate, so it does not show the burial place; presumably they would be together.

Hope this helps!
Posted on: 2009/7/7 19:09
  •  richard
      richard
Webmaster
From
The Calhoun, Roane, Braxton and Clay County WV Tombstones site (click here for more info) has a photo of Eli and Lucy Rogers marker. It is in Slate Church Memorial Cemetery, that has been known under many different names, including Bowers, Rogers and Greathouse. Reportedly located on a hill top about 2 miles east of Spencer on Triplett road.

Good luck in your searches!
Posted on: 2009/7/7 22:00
  •  Thomas_Vetter
      Thomas_Vetter
Not too shy to talk
From
Interestingly, my efforts thus far have Eli Rogers to be the son of John B. Rogers (1805-1872) and Sarah Webb (1815-1863), both born in Harrison County, West Virginia, married 10/26/1828 in Wood County, West Virginia, and buried side by side in Smithville Cemetery in Ritchie, West Virginia. I was planning on visiting their gravesite next month. I guess I need to explore this some more. But thank you for the death certificate; it sure seems to be on point.
Posted on: 2009/7/9 2:41
  •  Thomas_Vetter
      Thomas_Vetter
Not too shy to talk
From
I tried to find the Slate Cemetery on google maps but no luck. Any suggestion as to who in Spencer I might contact to help me find it and access the property? I do not want to trespass on someone's land but it sure would be nice to see the grave and take a photo. Thank you so much, Tom Vetter
Posted on: 2009/7/9 3:11
  •  JudyHildreth
      JudyHildreth
Officer
From
The Slate Cemetery is very easily found. Take 33 east of Spencer 2 miles and turn left on Triplett Road. The cemetery is on the right as soon as you go on Triplett Road. There is a church on the opposite side of the road with plenty of parking.
Posted on: 2009/7/9 21:03
  •  Thomas_Vetter
      Thomas_Vetter
Not too shy to talk
From
Great piece of information. I am very grateful for all the feedback. Now I am hoping to find where Eli and Lucy Rogers' son (my great grandfather) John Waitman Rogers (b 10/11/1879, d. 1907) is buried. He married Carey Mae Cain (b. 11/2/1888 d. 1965) on 4/5/1905 in Roane County but they may have resided in Reedy at the time of his death.

I also have run into a road block in tracking down Eli's parents, Benjamin and Agnes (Garrison) Rogers, born in Kentucky. I have tracked Lucy Spencer back quite a ways. Touching how her father, Capt. John White Spencer, was Eli Roger's captain during the Civil War in Company 8 9th W.Va Volunteer Infantry.

Thanks so much!
Posted on: 2009/7/11 1:36
  •  Thomas_Vetter
      Thomas_Vetter
Not too shy to talk
From
I cannot seem to get a response from the folks who maintain the Calhoun, Roane, Braxton and Clay County WV Tombstones site. From one of their postings elsewhere on the Web, I see that they have information on the grave of John W. Rogers, as well as several of his siblings. Any suggestion as to how to contact them for an invitation? Thanks, Tom Vetter
Posted on: 2009/7/11 2:33
  •  JoanFields
      JoanFields
Not too shy to talk
From Orlando, FL
I too cannot get a response from the folks who maintain the Calhoun, Roane, Braxton and Clay County WV Tombstones Site. I would also like to know how to get an invitation into the site.
Posted on: 2009/7/11 20:23
  •  richard
      richard
Webmaster
From
Just in case you are still having troubles with this, just email Charlene Sampson-Ramel at molli1952@gmail.com

I would recommend putting "Tombstone Site Invite" in the subject, and then in the message just briefly explain your connections to the area and request an invitation. Sometimes she can get pretty busy, so be patient.
Posted on: 2009/7/14 2:33
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic
12>

Share This
Share |
Copyright © 2002-2021 Roane County Historical Society, Inc.