Remember me

Lost Password?
Want to Register?
Problems?
Contact a Webmaster at: richard@wvroane.org
Visitor Count

View Stats
Please Sign In
To get the most benefit from our forums, please login.
When you are logged in, you can post queries, and join in discussions.
Roane County Historical Society, Inc. Forum Index
   Queries
  Simmons family of Spencer/Roane County

Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic
Poster Thread
  •  Jeffrey Simmons
      Jeffrey Simmons
Simmons family of Spencer/Roane County
Just popping in
From
Hello everyone, a while back I was doing some research for my father's side of the family and I could not find anything further back then my GGGG Grandfather Leonard Simmons and his wife Mary ( maiden name Vandal). I have attached all of the information that I gathered at that time and would be interested in any additional information, corrections or most assuredly pictures of my ancestors.

Of note, Leonard had 8 children two of which served in the Civil War with the 36th Virginia (2nd Kanawha, Company E)their names were Leonard D. Simmons and Jeffrey Simmons. Leonard was wounded at the battle of Cloyd's Mountain and left for dead. I have confirmed this through the WV archives in Charleston and have copies of both of their Company Muster Roll chits, although there seems to be a plethora of people that misspelled Jeffrey during the time. I have seen Jeffrey spelled Jefry, Jeffney and Jefney on the pay chits, marriage documents and other documents.

My Grandmother's side of the family were Arnott's, also from Spencer, and I enjoyed our family reunions at a large two story civil war era homestead just outside of Spencer.

I would appreciate any help that may be provided and I hope my research may help some of you.

Sincerely,
Jeffrey S. Simmons

Attach file
Attached file:SizeHits
pdf Simmons Family Tree.pdf 520.71 KB 1412
Posted on: 2016/6/15 23:11
Create PDF from Post Print
  •  shelialynn
      shelialynn
Re: Simmons family of Spencer/Roane County
Just popping in
From
Hello
My name is Shelia Lynn Greathouse Wright. My paternal grandmother was Ninevah Simmons Greathouse the daughter of Joseph Smith Simmons. Joseph was son of Jonathan Simmons(the brother of your GGGGrandfather David Simmons).

I have Leonard Simmons married to Mary Vandal and I have his father as Leonard Simmons married to Mary Mefford. Next as father of Leonard I have Captain Henry Simmons. Now this is all still a work in progress and has been for years and I don't know how true it is but it might give you something to try to check out. I have some information on the Vandals but nothing more on the Simmons.

Good luck to you on your search. I guess we're sort of cousins, right?
Posted on: 2016/11/24 4:19
  •  Jeffrey Simmons
      Jeffrey Simmons
Re: Simmons family of Spencer/Roane County
Just popping in
From
Sounds good, I appreciate your input and will give it a try. Thanks.
Posted on: 2016/12/27 20:32
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

Share This
Share |
Copyright © 2002-2021 Roane County Historical Society, Inc.