Remember me

Lost Password?
Want to Register?
Problems?
Contact a Webmaster at: richard@wvroane.org
Visitor Count

View Stats
Please Sign In
To get the most benefit from our forums, please login.
When you are logged in, you can post queries, and join in discussions.
Roane County Historical Society, Inc. Forum Index
   Queries
  Physician Records for 1900 or 1918

Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic
Poster Thread
  •  JoanFields
      JoanFields
Physician Records for 1900 or 1918
Not too shy to talk
From Orlando, FL
I am trying to verify the death date of my great grandfather William E. Lee. His tombstone indicates a death date of 3 Jul 1900. However, the closest I can come to that is listed in the Register of Deaths (page 84) as E. W. Lee (death date July 12, 1900). The name of the Physician returning the certificate is D. W. Shirkey, Walton, WV. Would Dr. Shirkey's personal papers have any additional information that might help me verify if the individual was my great grandfather?

Additionally, I found a Certificate of Death for a William Lee (death date January 6, 1918) age 53. However, there are no parents listed on the certificate. There is no birth date listed either. The place of burial is State Cemetery. The informant is E. C. Jones, Spencer, WV. I am assuming E. C. Jones would be the physician involved. Would there be copies of Dr. Jones personal records that might shed some additional light on this death? I have contacted Lakin Hospital regarding records for Wm Lee at the Spencer State Hospital but they have no files on him.
Posted on: 2014/1/14 0:42
Create PDF from Post Print
  •  LindaCottrellLiss
      LindaCottrellLiss
Re: Physician Records for 1900 or 1918
Officer
From
According to the 1900 Census of Roane Co., WV, William E. Lee was a patient at the 2nd Hospital for the Insane [Spencer State Hospital] listed age 36, b. March 1864, married 15 yrs., white male. Best of luck on finding records for your ancestor. Linda Cottrell Liss
Posted on: 2014/7/8 14:22
  •  JoanFields
      JoanFields
Not too shy to talk
From Orlando, FL
Actually Linda the 1900 census is what started me questioning my great grandfather's death date because he was born in Mar 1864 and he was married in Mar 1886 (14 years). My great grandmother is listed as being a widow in the 1900 census at their home place. So more questions arose for me. I cannot locate a William E. Lee in the 1910 census anywhere in WV.

Are you aware of any physician or personal records that might have been kept in this timeframe? What alternative records might be available in the Roane Co area that I could check on?
Posted on: 2015/3/1 18:58
  •  JoanFields
      JoanFields
Not too shy to talk
From Orlando, FL
What records are available in Roane County (tax, land, estate, etc.) that would help break through the brick wall of validating my great grandfather's (William Elsworth Lee) death date?
I have not been able to locate a will for him.
I have three death dates:
3 Jul 1900 (from RCHS cemetery book Vol II, page 96);
1906 (found on his actual tombstone, I posted a picture of his tombstone on Find-A-Grave);
and 6 Jan 1918 (a WV death certificate for Wm Lee, state file no 10057, also it is listed as the second entry (unnumbered page) for 1918 deaths in Roane).
Posted on: 2015/9/29 19:45
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

Share This
Share |
Copyright © 2002-2021 Roane County Historical Society, Inc.