Remember me

Lost Password?
Want to Register?
Problems?
Contact a Webmaster at: richard@wvroane.org
Visitor Count

View Stats
Please Sign In
To get the most benefit from our forums, please login.
When you are logged in, you can post queries, and join in discussions.
Roane County Historical Society, Inc. Forum Index
   Queries
  Need help finding John Patrick Sinnett

Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic
Poster Thread
Need help finding John Patrick Sinnett
Quite a regular
From Crossville, Tn.
I need some help finding John Patrick Sinnett b.1787 in Pendleton Co. moved to Ritchie then to Roane Co. where he died 4 Jan 1869. He married Elizabeth Caldwell 14 Dec 1848 in Roane Co. He was married to Elizabeth Propst in Ritchie Co. and give him 5 children before she died in 1843. I know sons Joseph and Samuel came to Roane Co. and started families. I'm looking for any children from the second marriage to Elizabeth Caldwell and where the couple might be buried as well as any other information on them. I know where Joseph and his family are buried as this is my line and I tend the cemetery outside of Walton which as far as I know John is not there. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Posted on: 2010/12/21 18:59
Create PDF from Post Print
  •  LindaCottrellLiss
      LindaCottrellLiss
Re: Need help finding John Patrick Sinnett
Officer
From
Hi, John - It was nice meeting you at the Roane Co. Gen. Fair in Sept. and leafing through you book on the Sinnett family. I have only a distant connection to the Sinnett's through my Jarvis line. Anyway, I've done some digging and at least found John Sennett [sic] in the 1850 census of Kanawha Co., VA(WV),age 62, no occupation, with three Sennett young men, persumably sons: Able P.age 34, county surveyor, Samuel age 24, farmer and James age 24, farm laborer. Able P. Sennett was still listed in the 1860 census of Kanawha Co. while sons Samuel and Joseph were listed in the Roxalana area of Roane Co. I do not find John S. Patrick or Elizabeth Caldwell Sinnett in any 1860 WV census. Your dates for John: b. 12 Nov 1787 d. 1 Jan 1869.
I did find John Sinnett's, age 71, marriage to Elizabeth Eastridge Caldwell, age 41, from Washington Co., VA., married in Roane Co. 19 Dec 1858. Source: Cochran Pub. 1988, Roane Co. Marriages, p. 6. Record indicates that both were widow/er. She was first married to Andrew Caldwell and they had at least two daughters, Phebe S. who married James B. Groves and Kesiah A. who married Mark Hively, but I do not find any children for her and John Sinnett. I find Elizabeth 1870 census of Roane Co. living with the Groves family, and in 1880 living with the Hively family.
Hope this helps a bit in finding your Sinnett ancestors.
Posted on: 2010/12/29 17:03
Quite a regular
From Crossville, Tn.
Thanks Linda, this does help. I've had some contact from another part of the family and found out that Elizabeth was married a total of four times, twice after John's death. I've also found a Sinnett Hollow on a map, located outside of Speed past the Round Knob Cemetery. This may be the area John settled and is buried with his first wife Elizabeth Propst. I need to check the land titles the next time I'm in WV. With Samuel and his family buried in the Round Knob Cemetery, this Hollow must have been full of Sinnett's. The funny thing is that I've been to the cemetery many times but never went any farther down the road to the hollow. So close but yet so far I guess.
Posted on: 2010/12/29 18:29
  •  LindaCottrellLiss
      LindaCottrellLiss
Officer
From
John: I can now confirm the other two marriages for Elizabeth Eastridge-Caldwell-Sinnett. More bits & pieces.

She married Thomas Paxton, age 70 - 1 Dec 1883 in Roane Co., she was listed as age 64 at that time.
Then 13 Sept 1892 she, at age 67, married Carr B. Brown.
and She and Car B. Brown are listed in the 1900 census of Roane Co. Fam.#110-110 Walton Dist.
By 1910 she is listed age 88, at the Roane County Infirmary in Curtis Dist. Listed as Elizabeth Brown, age 88, married 4 times, 2 of her 7 children living.
Elizabeth Brown died 8 Sept 1912 at Peniel in Roane Co., listed as age 91. H.H. Robey, Undertaker, informant.
Posted on: 2010/12/29 23:39
Quite a regular
From Crossville, Tn.
I guess she didn't want to live alone. Getting married four times has to keep you feeling young. Thanks for the look up's Lynda. Now what do we know about this Sinnett Hollow area?
Posted on: 2010/12/29 23:53
Quite a regular
From Crossville, Tn.
I was just going through this again. Do we know where she was buried?
Posted on: 2012/2/24 1:51
  •  gharper
      gharper
Not too shy to talk
From Walton, WV
If it is of any help, I found Keziah A Caldwell Hively's memorial in find a grave at the Hively #2 cemetery and a similar marker for Mark Hively.
Posted on: 2018/1/18 16:12
 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

Share This
Share |
Copyright © 2002-2021 Roane County Historical Society, Inc.