About Membership Publications Officers Help
 
Main Menu
Login

Username:


Password:


Remember me


Lost Password?
Want to Register?
Problems?
Contact a Webmaster at: richard@wvroane.org
Visitor Count

View Stats

Main : History : Historical Plaque Project Total:19

Sort by:  (Title)  (Date)  (Popularity)
Photos currently sorted by: Title (A to Z)

Photo No. 1-10 (out of 19 photos hit)



 The Cunningham House

The Cunningham HousePopular
Posted by: LindaCottrellLiss   (See more photos from LindaCottrellLiss)   2011/2/9 14:46
Views: 1362   Comments: 0    
The Cunningham home built in 1900 is located at 224 Chapman Avenue in Spencer. It was once owned by the Foard H. and Madeline Julia Wine Cunningham Family. It features large porches, period furnishings and a relaxed atmosphere for the now Cunningham House Bed and Breakfast Inn owned by Alvis "Sonny" and Sherry Truman.
#5 in the Spencer Walking Tour brochure.

Plaque for B & O Railroad Depot

Plaque for B & O Railroad DepotPopular
Posted by: LindaCottrellLiss   (See more photos from LindaCottrellLiss)   2011/2/9 15:19
Views: 1291   Comments: 0    
Bronze plaque placed on the depot to commemorate it's pre 1910 history.

Robey Theatre

Robey TheatrePopular
Posted by: LindaCottrellLiss   (See more photos from LindaCottrellLiss)   2011/2/9 14:29
Views: 2626   Comments: 2    
Founded in 1907, the Robey Theatre at 318 Main Street was a vaudeville/opera house before it began showing silent films in 1908.  Hamond H. Robey's theatre immediately became a popular attraction in town.  Today, Robey Theatre is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The Theater continues to operate as a movie house, noted as the oldest continuously operated movie theater in the Unite States.
A special plaque created by the U.S. Dept. of Interior and purchased by the R.C.H.S. notes its place in U. S. and Spencer's history.
#3 on the Walking Tour brochure.

The Anderson Building

The Anderson BuildingPopular
Posted by: LindaCottrellLiss   (See more photos from LindaCottrellLiss)   2011/2/9 15:13
Views: 1400   Comments: 0    
The Anderson Building, built about 1900, is located at (227 Main St) the corner of Main & Market Streets in downtown Spencer & is #8 on the walking tour.
The building was once the location of a grocery store, a clothing/department store and is currently owned and occupied as the optometry office of Dr. Harry Anderson.

The Arnott House

The Arnott HousePopular
Posted by: LindaCottrellLiss   (See more photos from LindaCottrellLiss)   2011/2/9 14:35
Views: 1413   Comments: 0    
The Victorian style Arnott home is located at 103 Locust Avenue in Spencer and was built in 1905 by the Henry M. Arnott family. This historic home now serves the community as the Arnott House Bed and Breakfast Inn.
Greg and Dilya Sutton are current owners and the house is #4 on the Walking Tour brochure.

The B & O Railroad Depot

The B & O Railroad DepotPopular
Posted by: LindaCottrellLiss   (See more photos from LindaCottrellLiss)   2011/2/9 15:19
Views: 1331   Comments: 0    
The B & O Railroad Depot located at Church Street and Heritage Park in Spencer dates to 1893.
The depot is now used as Spencer's Heritage Park Museum and is owned by the City of Spencer.
#1 on the Walking Tour brochure

The Bank of Spencer Building

The Bank of Spencer BuildingPopular
Posted by: LindaCottrellLiss   (See more photos from LindaCottrellLiss)   2011/2/9 15:20
Views: 1580   Comments: 0    
Built in about 1896, the Bank of Spencer building is located at 314 Market Street.  It has served as office space over the last several years, but still has the original walk-in safe in the lower area.
It is #9 on the Walking Tour brochure.

The Campbell House

The Campbell HousePopular
Posted by: LindaCottrellLiss   (See more photos from LindaCottrellLiss)   2011/2/9 17:05
Views: 1806   Comments: 0    
The Campbell house was built in about 1859 and is most likely the oldest existing home in Spencer's city limits.  It is located at 833 Black Walnut Avenue, just as travelers enter Spencer by way of Route 119.  The two-story house has been restored and still has white siding similar to that found on the original structure.  It has six spacious rooms, three on each floor & each room has a fireplace. In its history the house once served the community as a hotel.  The house is also thought to have had the first indoor bathroom in Spencer.  There is a large, round copper cistern in the attic which was used to catch rainwater that was used for flushing.  The Henry Payne family were the original owners and was once part of a 2500-acre estate which had many owners over the years.  The Ralph Campbell family owned the property the longest, therefore was named the Campbell House.
While inconvenient to be part of the walking tour, it is noted as #18 on the tour brochure.

The Chrystal Water & Power Co. (Spencer Ice Plant) Building

The Chrystal Water & Power Co. (Spencer Ice Plant) BuildingPopular
Posted by: LindaCottrellLiss   (See more photos from LindaCottrellLiss)   2011/2/9 15:56
Views: 1708   Comments: 0    
Built in about 1903 the Chrystal Water and Power Co. building, also known as "The Spencer Ice Plant" is located at the South end of Church Street.  In 2007 the unique building was submitted to the National Register of Historic Places and is being renovated as funds become available.  The building was originally a facility to manufacture ice and for cold storage. The Crystal Water & Power Company and all its holdings were sold to the City of Parkersburg in 1910 and recharterd in 1911 as the Spencer Water & Ice Co.  The building has been vacant for a number of years.  The bronze plaque from the R.C.H.S, commemorating the building's placement on the National Regiser, will be installed when the renovation is completed.
The building is #12 on the walking tour.

The Cleavenger House

The Cleavenger HousePopular
Posted by: LindaCottrellLiss   (See more photos from LindaCottrellLiss)   2011/2/9 14:56
Views: 1314   Comments: 0    
The Hazel Cleavenger house, built circa 1900, is located at 431 West Main Street in Spencer. It features several interesting architectural elements including unusual oval windows.
Current owners are Anthony and Shannon Hofstad & is #6 on the walking tour of Spencer's historic buildings.

Photo No. 1-10 (out of 19 photos hit)



These photographs are posted here for your personal research and enjoyment. Each remains the property of the original submitter. Please contact that individual before considering any other use of their photos.

Share This
Share |
Copyright © 2002-2017 Roane County Historical Society, Inc.