About Membership Publications Officers Help
 
Main Menu
Login

Username:


Password:


Remember me


Lost Password?
Want to Register?
Problems?
Contact a Webmaster at: richard@wvroane.org
Visitor Count

View Stats

Main : History : Historical Plaque Project Total:19

Sort by:  (Title)  (Date)  (Popularity)
Photos currently sorted by: Popularity (Most to Least Hits)

Photo No. 1-10 (out of 19 photos hit)



Robey Theatre

Robey TheatrePopular
Posted by: LindaCottrellLiss   (See more photos from LindaCottrellLiss)   2011/2/9 14:29
Views: 2626   Comments: 2    
Founded in 1907, the Robey Theatre at 318 Main Street was a vaudeville/opera house before it began showing silent films in 1908.  Hamond H. Robey's theatre immediately became a popular attraction in town.  Today, Robey Theatre is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The Theater continues to operate as a movie house, noted as the oldest continuously operated movie theater in the Unite States.
A special plaque created by the U.S. Dept. of Interior and purchased by the R.C.H.S. notes its place in U. S. and Spencer's history.
#3 on the Walking Tour brochure.

The T. R. Simmons House

The T. R. Simmons HousePopular
Posted by: LindaCottrellLiss   (See more photos from LindaCottrellLiss)   2011/2/9 16:19
Views: 1815   Comments: 0    
Located at 327 Church Street, the T. R. Simmons House, built in 1901, was the home of the Theodore Ross and Lula Mae Stump Simmons family.  He was born in Roane County the son of James and Elizabeth Boggs Simmons.  Mr. Simmons was a businessman and banker by trade and was serving as the President of the Bank of Spencer in 1910, (see building #9).  The house is currently owned by the Lillian Knight estate and is vacant.
It is #15 on the historic buildings walking tour.

The H. H. Robey House

The H. H. Robey HousePopular
Posted by: LindaCottrellLiss   (See more photos from LindaCottrellLiss)   2011/2/9 16:12
Views: 1810   Comments: 0    
The Hamond H. Robey House, located at 331 Church Street, was the home of the Hamond H. & Ora Harris Robey Family, founder of the Robey Theatre.  The home has beautiful woodwork and features an original light fixture from the theatre hanging in its foyer.  The house contains many original pieces of furniture and has been lovingly restored to its 1910 grandeur.  David and Martha Cooper are the current resident/owners.
The home is #14 on the walking tour.

The Campbell House

The Campbell HousePopular
Posted by: LindaCottrellLiss   (See more photos from LindaCottrellLiss)   2011/2/9 17:05
Views: 1805   Comments: 0    
The Campbell house was built in about 1859 and is most likely the oldest existing home in Spencer's city limits.  It is located at 833 Black Walnut Avenue, just as travelers enter Spencer by way of Route 119.  The two-story house has been restored and still has white siding similar to that found on the original structure.  It has six spacious rooms, three on each floor & each room has a fireplace. In its history the house once served the community as a hotel.  The house is also thought to have had the first indoor bathroom in Spencer.  There is a large, round copper cistern in the attic which was used to catch rainwater that was used for flushing.  The Henry Payne family were the original owners and was once part of a 2500-acre estate which had many owners over the years.  The Ralph Campbell family owned the property the longest, therefore was named the Campbell House.
While inconvenient to be part of the walking tour, it is noted as #18 on the tour brochure.

The Riddle Building

The Riddle BuildingPopular
Posted by: LindaCottrellLiss   (See more photos from LindaCottrellLiss)   2011/2/9 16:44
Views: 1745   Comments: 0    
The Riddle building, spelled Riddel in brickwork on the building's front, is located at the corner of Main and Church Streets and was built in about 1902.  The 3-story brindle brick structure, built by Charles C. Riddle, a Texan by birth & merchant by trade, has served Spencer as a bank, a doctor's office and currently the home of a floral & gifts business.
It is noted in Roane County history that "C. C. Riddle was the largest buyer of turkeys in the county around 1900, out-buying all the other dealers combined.  During the week preceding Thanksgiving in 1902, Riddle purchased and shipped 1400 turkeys out of the county on the R S & G (railroad) at an average purchase cost of seventy-five cents apiece."
Chat C. Riddle and Prudia Tyson were married in Roane County on 26 May 1888, and had at least two children, Velva & Charles T.  He later married a Miss Mollie Kirk and had another daughter named Virginia.  He & his wives are buried at the Spencer Memorial Cemetery.
It is #17 on the downtown walking tour.

The Chrystal Water & Power Co. (Spencer Ice Plant) Building

The Chrystal Water & Power Co. (Spencer Ice Plant) BuildingPopular
Posted by: LindaCottrellLiss   (See more photos from LindaCottrellLiss)   2011/2/9 15:56
Views: 1708   Comments: 0    
Built in about 1903 the Chrystal Water and Power Co. building, also known as "The Spencer Ice Plant" is located at the South end of Church Street.  In 2007 the unique building was submitted to the National Register of Historic Places and is being renovated as funds become available.  The building was originally a facility to manufacture ice and for cold storage. The Crystal Water & Power Company and all its holdings were sold to the City of Parkersburg in 1910 and recharterd in 1911 as the Spencer Water & Ice Co.  The building has been vacant for a number of years.  The bronze plaque from the R.C.H.S, commemorating the building's placement on the National Regiser, will be installed when the renovation is completed.
The building is #12 on the walking tour.

The Lewellen House

The Lewellen HousePopular
Posted by: LindaCottrellLiss   (See more photos from LindaCottrellLiss)   2011/2/9 16:03
Views: 1688   Comments: 0    
The Lewellen House, built in about 1900, is located at 502 Church Street, (corner of Church and Capehart Sts).  The house features a cupola which carries that circular architecture down to the expansive rounded porch that wraps around the corner of the house.
The David and Julie Boggs family are the current resident/owners.  It is #13 on the walking tour.

The F. E. Vandale Building

The F. E. Vandale BuildingPopular
Posted by: LindaCottrellLiss   (See more photos from LindaCottrellLiss)   2011/2/9 15:45
Views: 1686   Comments: 0    
The Fred Earl Vandale Building located at 206 Beauty Street in Spencer has served Spencer & area residents as the Roane County Hospital, the Methodist Episcopal Hospital of West Virginia and as the Lowe Hotel.  Built in 1904, the historic building was sold in 1929 & currently houses the Vandale - Taylor Funeral Home, Inc.
The Vandale Building is #11 on the Walking Tour.

The Huddleston Building

The Huddleston BuildingPopular
Posted by: LindaCottrellLiss   (See more photos from LindaCottrellLiss)   2011/2/9 16:28
Views: 1650   Comments: 0    
Circa 1905, the Huddleston Building is located at 315 Church Street, sandwiched in between two taller buildings & has been restored for office space and an apartment complex.
John Huddleston married Dora Mount in 1890 and lived on Church Street in Spencer.  He was the son of Washington and Nancy a Thomasson Huddleston, one-time Mayor of Spencer. The Huddleston's all lived on Church Street at the time their homes and much of Spencer's other buildings were destroyed by fire.  Mr. Huddleston was in the furniture business.
The building is #16 on the walking tour.

The Bank of Spencer Building

The Bank of Spencer BuildingPopular
Posted by: LindaCottrellLiss   (See more photos from LindaCottrellLiss)   2011/2/9 15:20
Views: 1578   Comments: 0    
Built in about 1896, the Bank of Spencer building is located at 314 Market Street.  It has served as office space over the last several years, but still has the original walk-in safe in the lower area.
It is #9 on the Walking Tour brochure.

Photo No. 1-10 (out of 19 photos hit)



These photographs are posted here for your personal research and enjoyment. Each remains the property of the original submitter. Please contact that individual before considering any other use of their photos.

Share This
Share |
Copyright © 2002-2017 Roane County Historical Society, Inc.