About Membership Publications Officers Help
 
Main Menu
Login

Username:


Password:


Remember me


Lost Password?
Want to Register?
Problems?
Contact a Webmaster at: richard@wvroane.org
Visitor Count

View Stats

Main : History : Historical Plaque Project Total:19

Sort by:  (Title)  (Date)  (Popularity)
Photos currently sorted by: Date (New Photos Listed First)

Photo No. 11-19 (out of 19 photos hit)



Plaque for B & O Railroad Depot

Plaque for B & O Railroad DepotPopular
Posted by: LindaCottrellLiss   (See more photos from LindaCottrellLiss)   2011/2/9 15:19
Views: 1291   Comments: 0    
Bronze plaque placed on the depot to commemorate it's pre 1910 history.

The B & O Railroad Depot

The B & O Railroad DepotPopular
Posted by: LindaCottrellLiss   (See more photos from LindaCottrellLiss)   2011/2/9 15:19
Views: 1331   Comments: 0    
The B & O Railroad Depot located at Church Street and Heritage Park in Spencer dates to 1893.
The depot is now used as Spencer's Heritage Park Museum and is owned by the City of Spencer.
#1 on the Walking Tour brochure

The Anderson Building

The Anderson BuildingPopular
Posted by: LindaCottrellLiss   (See more photos from LindaCottrellLiss)   2011/2/9 15:13
Views: 1400   Comments: 0    
The Anderson Building, built about 1900, is located at (227 Main St) the corner of Main & Market Streets in downtown Spencer & is #8 on the walking tour.
The building was once the location of a grocery store, a clothing/department store and is currently owned and occupied as the optometry office of Dr. Harry Anderson.

The Phil D. Phillips Building

The Phil D. Phillips BuildingPopular
Posted by: LindaCottrellLiss   (See more photos from LindaCottrellLiss)   2011/2/9 15:05
Views: 1473   Comments: 0    
The Phil D. Phillips building, located at 223 Main Street in Spencer has architecture elements similar to buildings along this section of the street. Most of the buildings in this area were at one time gutted by fire but maintain their original facade.
Mr. Philip D. Phillips (1882-1964) from Greene Co., PA was a prominent Spencer druggist, businessman & represented Roane County in the House of Delegates.  A drug store was operated from this location.
The building is currently owned by Insurance Agents, Bob and Anita Ashley & is #7 on the walking tour.

The Cleavenger House

The Cleavenger HousePopular
Posted by: LindaCottrellLiss   (See more photos from LindaCottrellLiss)   2011/2/9 14:56
Views: 1314   Comments: 0    
The Hazel Cleavenger house, built circa 1900, is located at 431 West Main Street in Spencer. It features several interesting architectural elements including unusual oval windows.
Current owners are Anthony and Shannon Hofstad & is #6 on the walking tour of Spencer's historic buildings.

 The Cunningham House

The Cunningham HousePopular
Posted by: LindaCottrellLiss   (See more photos from LindaCottrellLiss)   2011/2/9 14:46
Views: 1362   Comments: 0    
The Cunningham home built in 1900 is located at 224 Chapman Avenue in Spencer. It was once owned by the Foard H. and Madeline Julia Wine Cunningham Family. It features large porches, period furnishings and a relaxed atmosphere for the now Cunningham House Bed and Breakfast Inn owned by Alvis "Sonny" and Sherry Truman.
#5 in the Spencer Walking Tour brochure.

The Arnott House

The Arnott HousePopular
Posted by: LindaCottrellLiss   (See more photos from LindaCottrellLiss)   2011/2/9 14:35
Views: 1413   Comments: 0    
The Victorian style Arnott home is located at 103 Locust Avenue in Spencer and was built in 1905 by the Henry M. Arnott family. This historic home now serves the community as the Arnott House Bed and Breakfast Inn.
Greg and Dilya Sutton are current owners and the house is #4 on the Walking Tour brochure.

Robey Theatre

Robey TheatrePopular
Posted by: LindaCottrellLiss   (See more photos from LindaCottrellLiss)   2011/2/9 14:29
Views: 2626   Comments: 2    
Founded in 1907, the Robey Theatre at 318 Main Street was a vaudeville/opera house before it began showing silent films in 1908.  Hamond H. Robey's theatre immediately became a popular attraction in town.  Today, Robey Theatre is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The Theater continues to operate as a movie house, noted as the oldest continuously operated movie theater in the Unite States.
A special plaque created by the U.S. Dept. of Interior and purchased by the R.C.H.S. notes its place in U. S. and Spencer's history.
#3 on the Walking Tour brochure.

Traders Trust & Banking Company Building

Traders Trust & Banking Company BuildingPopular
Posted by: LindaCottrellLiss   (See more photos from LindaCottrellLiss)   2011/2/9 14:16
Views: 1482   Comments: 0    
The Traders Trust & Banking Co. building is a 4-story brick and stone structure.  Built in about 1902, the bank's name is found on both the Main and Market Street sides of the building.
(Since the plaques are identical except for the names and dates, I will not post each plaque with the building photo).  
#2 on Walking Tour brochure

Photo No. 11-19 (out of 19 photos hit)



These photographs are posted here for your personal research and enjoyment. Each remains the property of the original submitter. Please contact that individual before considering any other use of their photos.

Share This
Share |
Copyright © 2002-2017 Roane County Historical Society, Inc.